Saturday, December 30, 2023

Hex24 brainstorming

 Summary: A preparation post regarding my participation in the Hex24 challenge.

… or in other words, hyping myself up for this one year long mental exercise. I have a rough idea where I plan to go with this, so just wanted to write something down and have it as a future reference.

I am in tune with myself well enough to know that certain things that are coming in 2024 will absolutely inspire me and I fully intend to mine those events for ideas and overall theme. Namely, I will be traveling to Thailand in February and then later during the summer I have a planned boat sailing trip across the Aegean Sea. Well aware that these two things will leave a significant impact on me, as I always feel inspired and have a huge urge to write when travelling, I decided to use these as a general direction for this project.

Additionally, I have a couple of books from HP Lovecraft which I intend to reread, since it has been ages since I read them last time, and these will perfectly fit the travelling plans mentioned above (can’t wait to inject myself with lovecraftian phobia of the deep sea whilst being on a small sailboat).

As such, this will primarily be a sea/ocean based hexcrawl with the majority of travelling done via waterborne vessels of various kinds. I’m thinking about using LotFP as a rough structure for maritime related things, since that is the book I have at hand, but rounding the “basic” number up to 25 miles… i.e. a LotFP stat Riverboat will be able to sail 25 miles per day (instead of 24 as given in the book). 

What  that essentially translates to is that I’ll create 25 mile hexes, just for ease of travel calculation.  Usually, for all the previous hexcrawls I did, I don’t get too anal about travel distances and like to keep things fast and simple.

So, to sum it up, my main inspiration for this challenge will be:
- Upcoming trips to Thailand and Aegean Sea
- Pirates of Dark Water (a majorly underrated 90’s cartoon treasure)
- Umi no Triton (this left some weird scars on my child psyche)
- Lovecraftian literature and similarly inspired music
- The overall horror of the unexplored depths

That is it for now, with the next post we dive in!

No comments:

Post a Comment